Friday, November 9, 2012

No. More. Waiting.

Back in September, I confided to you all that I'd gotten some not-so-great test results back and was waiting for more testing to decide if I had the C word: CANCER. As a young mom, I was scared out of my mind. I fought back the fear and worry because I didn't KNOW anything. I try to not think about the worst possible situation. And for good reason.

I had nothing to worry about.

I finally got a call back after phoning the office on Monday and the results are in:

NO CANCER.

I have to go back in six months for another check-up then annually, for regular maintenance of my lady parts. I don't need to say how relieved I am but I'm going to anyway. OH MY GOD. I AM SO RELIEVED. This time, it was nothing; I know the odds though and 1 in 3 women in the U.S. will get cancer. And the odds are even worse for men at 1 in 2. 1 in 4 of those who get cancer will die from it.

Which leads me to ask the question: are we really doing all we can as a scientific community to find a treat, fight and ultimately cure cancer? I don't think we are. After this, I want to make sure I do more to fund cancer research, even if it's just a five dollar donation. That five dollars will go to good use buying a pad of paper for lab notes.

While I may be cancer-free right now, someone else out there, someone's mom, sister, father, uncle, brother, wife or husband is fighting for their life. Cancer knows NO boundaries. It has no limitations. It kills without discrimination.

I'm not waiting for another scare to do something. I want to help fight cancer NOW. If you haven't already signed up at standup2cancer.org, go do it now.

Donate if you can.

Join a team or start one of your own.

Share with your friends and family.

Get the word out and help save lives.

We can change the odds. We can beat cancer. We can make a difference. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure if someone did a survey, there is not one person in this country who doesn't have a friend or loved one who's been affected by cancer. Personally, I've lost two family members to cancer, had one who survived breast cancer, and had two close friends who are also breast cancer survivors. It's the one cause I donate to without fail every year and will do so for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness! I guess I could be technically 1 of the 3 because I have just recently learned I have skin cancer (blog will be coming out soon on it). I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO GLAD that your tests were ok! We love love love you!! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews