Saturday, September 15, 2012

A dessert you might want to hide from the kids

I don't normally hoard food from my kids. It's just not my style. I'll share anything with them because if I get to have a treat, so should they. If I don't want them to eat cookies and candy or drink soda, why should I get to eat it?? Plus, it's so much easier if they never see that crap because then I don't have to tell them "NO." Some things, though, I just can't resist bringing into the house, knowing full-well I DO NOT WANT TO SHARE. In fact, I'm not sure I should even be writing this post except that this is just too good NOT to share. With you guys at least. I'm still not sharing with the kids.

One of my favorite desserts, ever, has to be Jell-o's No-Bake cheesecakes. It's so easy and so delicious, it's a definite go-to when I want a treat after dinner. Jell-o has at least four different options for you to choice from: plain ol' cheesecake, strawberry, cherry and Oreo. Oreo is my favorite because, well, it's freaking OREO. I picked up a box at Safeway for about $4 but instead of making a cheesecake, I made 12 personal, "single-serving sized" Frozen Oreos Cups.

The recipe is on the back of the box, at the very bottom, almost like they're trying to hide its awesome goodness. Here's what you'll need:

1 package of Oreo no-bake cheesecake mix
1 1/3 cup of milk
4 tbsp of butter, melted
10 extra Oreos cookies, crushed (optional)
12 paper cupcake cups
1 cupcake tin
1 medium bowl
2 small bowls
An electric mixer


Nice & fluffy, makes a stiff peak
Step 1: In a small bowl, mix melted butter and the Crust Mix (#1 in the Oreo mix). Then spoon crust mixture into the paper cupcake cups. Using the back of your spoon, press the crust mix into each cup.

Step 2: In a medium bowl, add 1 1/3 cups milk and the #2 package form the Oreo mix. This is your filling. Mix for 30 seconds on low speed with an electric mixer. Then mix for 3 minutes on medium speed. You want your filling to form nice, stiff peaks.
Packaged cookie pieces. I added 7 extra Oreos.


Open bag #3 from the Oreo mix & set aside 1/2 cup of crumbs. Add the rest of the cookie crumbs (and about 7 of those optional Oreos cookies) to the filling and mix thoroughly. Spoon filling into the cups.

Step 3: With the 1/2 cup of reserved cookie crumbs and the rest of your additional Oreo cookies (about 3), add some cookie crumbs to the top of each mini-cheesecake. Freeze for 2 hours.
Ta-da! An almost-ice-cream cheesecake-in-a-cup!





2 hours may seem like a long time to wait for dessert but if you make them before you start cooking dinner, they'll be perfect. Or you can do it like I do & make them after dinner, wait til the kids have a bath & go to bed and enjoy one all by yourself, without having to share the tiniest bite.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, you should be shot for posting this, you mean, mean, woman! Now I have to go to the store and buy a box and make them. And even worse (at least for my waistline), I have to eat them! Aaaarrrrggghhhhh! Oh, well, just have to draft Tom to help with the eating part...that'll make me less guilty! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews