Friday, January 9, 2009

My First Socks!!!

I started on my first pair of socks after getting a book on knitting two-at-a-time, my Knit Picks Options set AND four skeins of bare yarn. I had to dye the yarn first of course, b/c that's the funnest part. I used a new technique I read about that uses a crock pot or a pot of water simmering on the stove. I really like the variations I got when I placed the yarn in the pot with warm water and poured the mixed dye over it. I had to mix up the dye twice and turn the yarn over to make sure it got a good even color but this creates by far my favorite "look"
I'm using the pattern Ripple Stitch Fixation:
and of course, my hand-dyed yarn!
My Knit Picks Options set only goes down to a size 4 needle so I had to grab a Susan Bates but it's working fine. I can see why some ppl just aren't sock ppl: it's a lot hard work to knit socks!! You have tiny lil needles and tiny lil yarn and you must know the parts of a sock or the pattern will be impossible to understand.
So far, I'm about 4" into the cuff and I love the look of this pattern. I have my doubts about the stretchiness of these socks but if I really like the pattern, I can always make another pair and knit elastic into them...or even better use the Knit Picks sock yarn that has elastic in the middle of the cotton and wool plies!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews